The new message board: Q&A

General & Message Board technical help.

Moderator: Officers

Mildane

Post by Mildane » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:02 am

And what's that half filled orange bar by everybodies name all about? Plus, I noticed only 14 or 15 posts before a thread starts on a new page. I'll check my profile and see if it's a personal preference like ezboards. But if not, is that the limit, or does it change on its own after a certain amount of space is taken?
Mildane

Post by Mildane » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:11 am

And as far as all the scrolling goes... Everything is black, so it's hard to find the tab to scroll the page up and down. Is there some sort of personal preference I can change that with?

p.s. Thanks Shiloch
Pedi Dustyboots

Post by Pedi Dustyboots » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:03 am

And what's that half filled orange bar by everybodies name all about?
It's your posting experience bar! The more posts you make, the more it fills up. Da na na nah.
Second. I've had Legend on ezboard for a good amount of time now, and was thinking about changing the title to something different soon. I'm not going to make another 400 posts just to be able to do that. I'd quit first.
Lies~
What's with all the sidescrolling required here? Any way to get around that?
No sidescrolling for me, but then again I have my monitor set to 1064.
Rocsalt

WTB More posts per page :p

Post by Rocsalt » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:02 am

/agree Mildane...
WTB More posts per page...
No Peeking
65 Monk
Mildane

Post by Mildane » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:27 pm

I havent been using my computer lately. This one just cant handle 1064.
Pedi Dustyboots

Post by Pedi Dustyboots » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:37 pm

I have some minor sidescrolling at work with 800x600 resolution, but that's because I don't have the window maximized (I need to quickly click on something in the background to hide IE in case my boss walks in - ALT TAB takes too long and is noisy).
Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

Post by Shiloch Veneficus » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:20 pm

Mildane wrote:Hmm. First. What does php stand for again?
What is PHP?
PHP is a recursive acryonym for Hypertext Preprocessor. It is a widely-used general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML.
Mildane wrote:Second. I've had Legend on ezboard for a good amount of time now, and was thinking about changing the title to something different soon. I'm not going to make another 400 posts just to be able to do that. I'd quit first. So...Can we change our title if we had Legend status on the previous board. Or, do you have something else in mind?
Actually, we're planning to revamp the title/rank system to make it more interesting. A lot of people's postcounts were scaled back because a lot of their old posts were pruned from ezBoard, and the pruned posts don't get imported here, they are basically gone. We'll work on this, but while we're still in the transition phase, its not super high on the priority list.
Mildane wrote:So I clicked preview again, and just remembered. Again. What's with all the sidescrolling required here? Any way to get around that?
Hmm, I'm using 1024 x 768 and haven't really changed resolutions to see what it looks like in other resolutoins. My guess is that if you have to sidescroll much at all, its because someone posted an image that is wider than the board's dimensions. If not, its because you're using something way too small, and you need to update your PC. :P I'll check it out at 800 x 600 and see what its like. I refuse to support a smaller screen area than that.
Sage Shiloch Venzolmes - Arch Convoker - Walkers
QUALITY, not quantity.
Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

Post by Shiloch Veneficus » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:28 pm

Mildane wrote:Everything is black, so it's hard to find the tab to scroll the page up and down. Is there some sort of personal preference I can change that with?
As of right now, the number of posts per page is a global setting. I don't think its possible for users to change it. I think its at 15 right now. I May bump it up to 20 or so, but I'm not going to enforce a setting greater than that globally.

I can't imagine you'd want to use a setting greater than that on a slow connection, and if you're using a fast connection, this board loads relatively fast. Its a substiantial speed increase over ezBoard.
QUALITY, not quantity.
Mildane

Post by Mildane » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:34 am

heheh, theres that dyslexia again. You got the right answer but quoted the wrong question on that last post. That's cool though.

Anyways, was just thinking about the chatroom on the last page. I'm not too sure about how important it would be to have anytime soon, because not that many people used it. But is that something we can eventually get with the php board?
- Epic stick figure -
Sindace

Post by Sindace » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:48 pm

post counts pruned back a bit? was closing on 250 (not a post count whore like some *cough Trabayre *cough*) now down to low 90's :roll:
Mildane

Post by Mildane » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:26 pm

It's your posting experience bar! The more posts you make, the more it fills up. Da na na nah
I'll use Shiloch as my first example to show why I have a hard time beleiving this about the orange bar.

Shiloch has a full orange bar with somewhere around 450 registered posts.

Next, Pedi has about 1/4 of an orange bar with somewhere around the same amount of registered posts as Shiloch.

Now I have about a half an orange bar, with something like 600+ posts. Yet Whizbang has a full orange bar with over 1200 posts.

Maybe the orange bar means something else?
- Epic stick figure -
Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

Post by Shiloch Veneficus » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:57 pm

Mildane,

Administrators have auto-full xp bars. Its independent of the number of posts they have.

Only the non-special-rank users will actually follow the system.
QUALITY, not quantity.
Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

Post by Shiloch Veneficus » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:59 pm

And secondly, why do you continue to complain about something that is definately going to be changed?

/boggle
QUALITY, not quantity.
Mildane

Post by Mildane » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:04 pm

I didnt know it was going to be changed, and I wasnt complaining.
- Epic stick figure -
Jaffod

Post by Jaffod » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:12 pm

Sindace, are you calling me a postcount whore?
Is it paranoia when they really ARE out to get you?