The new message board: Q&A

General & Message Board technical help.

Moderator: Officers

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

The new message board: Q&A

Post by Shiloch Veneficus » Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:57 pm

This topic will be for questions about this message board. Please post here with questions, and we'll answer them as you ask. By keeping this public, hopefully many people's questions will be answered just be reading the answers.
Sage Shiloch Venzolmes - Arch Convoker - Walkers
QUALITY, not quantity.
Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

Post by Shiloch Veneficus » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:10 pm

Question:
Do we have to start from postcount zero again? Not that I care that much, but I did kindof like the title

Answer:
No. But, you will notice that your post count is stripped back a little. This is because ezBoard kept a running tally of even posts that had been pruned. Unfortunetly, I couldn't import the pruned posts so your postcount will reflect what was currently showing on ezBoard. Don't worry, we'll work on the rank system to make moving through it more fun again. :)
Last edited by Shiloch Veneficus on Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

Q&A

Post by Shiloch Veneficus » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:25 pm

Question:
How do I fix the below HTML?

Code: Select all

[link=www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=179716]Brieah Stormhart[/link] 
65th Prophet 

[image noborder]http://w3.chrlmi.cablespeed.com/~schultz10/Bricollage%20copy.gif[/image]
Answer:
Well, this isn't exactly HTML. What you have there is a sample of ezBoard ezCodes. This message board uses a similar version of that known as BBCode. All you had to do was swap some of the ezCodes for BBcodes so that it would read like this:

Code: Select all

[url=www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=179716]Brieah Stormhart[/url] 
65th Prophet 

[img]http://w3.chrlmi.cablespeed.com/~schultz10/Bricollage%20copy.gif[/img]
You can get help with the BBCodes by just clicking it inside your profile (where it says BBCode is ON). That's actually a link that will pop up a help screen and show you more about BBCodes. Or, you can click here.

By the way, I took the liberty of fixing your signature for you.
Last edited by Shiloch Veneficus on Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

Q&A

Post by Shiloch Veneficus » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:58 pm

Question:
What i do to change the FONT on my sig?

Answer:
Tough question, and is why I saved it for last in my list of questions. Apparently you can change font style, size, and color with BBCodes. You can also do the same with HTML. However, there is no BBCode for "font face." My original answer was going to be to try making the signature in HTML, but I tried that myself only to find out that for some reason you can't change the "font face" at all, no matter what. So, I guess if you want to change the "font face" in your signature you'll have to use an image. I will keep working on this and get back to you when I have either fixed it, or found out why you can't do it.
Aelorean

Post by Aelorean » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:23 am

Question:

How can I configure it so that the forums only show topics that are new (a la ezBoard). Or is that possible?
Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

Q&A

Post by Shiloch Veneficus » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:57 am

I'll just make my own post since it helps my post count. :twisted:

Question:
How can I configure it so that the forums only show topics that are new (a la ezBoard). Or is that possible?

Answer:
I'm pretty sure its not possible to configure anything for that setting. However, on the main forum index, after you are logged in, there's a link for "View posts since last visit" at the upper-right corner. That will list every topic that has new posts to you, in any forum. May or may not be nicer than ezBoard, depending on how you like to view it.
Whizbang Dustyboots

Post by Whizbang Dustyboots » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:22 pm

Could we extend the sig size out some? I'd also like to modestly increase the file size for avatars if we could.
Talvarien

Post by Talvarien » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:36 pm

How do I get access to the private area? I am logged in and received confirmation to my email, but am blocked from the private forums?

tal
Rocsalt

Last Reply Size/Placement

Post by Rocsalt » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:44 pm

Is it possible to change the text size or placement on the "Last Reply" section to make it easier to quickly pick out those posts made during the date/time you want to see?

The time it takes me to scan the post date/time and pick out the ones i want to view is greater now than from the other board.
No Peeking
65 Monk
Pedi Dustyboots

Post by Pedi Dustyboots » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:16 pm

Talvarien wrote:How do I get access to the private area? I am logged in and received confirmation to my email, but am blocked from the private forums?

tal
If you are a member of Walkers, you'll need to follow these instructions to gain access to the Guild-Only forums:

1. Log in with your updated account, and click Usergroups at the top.

2. You will see a drop-down box that has "Members" in it. Verify that is selected, then click "View Information."

3. Now you will see a list of the group members. At the top of this screen, click Join Group. This will put in a request to join the "Members" group, which will give you access to all the Guild-Only forums. I will check this request list frequently over the weekend, and I will validate everyone who's updated their account information.
Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

Q&A

Post by Shiloch Veneficus » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:02 pm

Question:
Could we extend the sig size out some? I'd also like to modestly increase the file size for avatars if we could.

Answer:
Increased the max signature length to 1500 characters from 255. Increased the max file size for avatars to 1MB from 6KB.
QUALITY, not quantity.
Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

Q&A

Post by Shiloch Veneficus » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:09 pm

Is it possible to change the text size or placement on the "Last Reply" section to make it easier to quickly pick out those posts made during the date/time you want to see?
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do there, Roc. Could you clarify that a bit and I'll try to help you?
QUALITY, not quantity.
Rocsalt

Re: Q&A

Post by Rocsalt » Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:44 pm

Shiloch Veneficus wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do there, Roc. Could you clarify that a bit and I'll try to help you?
On the General board the Column labeled 'Last Post' is so far away from the 'Topics' column, it's taking more concentration to make sure I have the correct 'Topic' because of this. Was thinking that trading the 'Last Post' column with the 'Author' column would help alleviate some of this.
No Peeking
65 Monk
fieni

Post by fieni » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:38 am

Great job folks !
Mildane

Post by Mildane » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:55 am

Hmm. First. What does php stand for again?

Second. I've had Legend on ezboard for a good amount of time now, and was thinking about changing the title to something different soon. I'm not going to make another 400 posts just to be able to do that. I'd quit first. So...Can we change our title if we had Legend status on the previous board. Or, do you have something else in mind?

Thirdly. I had a question which was my second, but I forgot it and replaced it, hoping I would remember what it was by the time that I got to three. Didnt happen.

Fourthlyest. I remembered during the preview. But as I was typing this, I forgot it again.

So I clicked preview again, and just remembered. Again. What's with all the sidescrolling required here? Any way to get around that?