Switching to a new vista machine

General & Message Board technical help.

Moderator: Officers

Tindirt
Officer

Switching to a new vista machine

Post by Tindirt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Well my new comp arrived today & I'm tying to get EQ switched over. I burnt all my files to DVD & that hasn't worked, I've download the zip file from the EQ site & that hasn't worked & last but not least I've installed from the EQ platinum edition I had laying around & that hasn't worked. It's a Compaq Presario running an NVIIA GeForce 6150 with Vista. When I click the patcher it will go about halfway thru _verQuest .exe I get Error:could not download to file. Please rerun Everquest.exe to try again. When i click the patcher from the eq.zip file from Sony absolutely nothing happens. Please help my sanity is slowly being eroded, well actually what little sanity I have left :shock:
eqtagrak

Re: Switching to a new vista machine

Post by eqtagrak » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:01 pm

I got this same message when I got my new laptop with vista. I had to download the beta station launcher and that works fine. Gildawen and sheeol gave me some ideas to get patcher to work, but sadly i forgot what they were before I could try them. So hopefully the station launcher will work for you until you can figure out the actual patcher. Good luck
Tindirt
Officer

Post by Tindirt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanx for the advice Tag, tun out I needed to run the patcher in administor mode. Silly me, be on shortly :D
eqtagrak

Post by eqtagrak » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:06 pm

my user is administrator but I still can not load, am i missing something. There something else I need to change?
Tindirt
Officer

Post by Tindirt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:28 pm

I just right clicked on shortcut each time & hit run as administrator.
eqtagrak

Post by eqtagrak » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:31 pm

ok, that works, thanks Tin
Gildawen
Officer

Post by Gildawen » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:02 am

What I did was change the permissions for my user account to ensure that the user account had write rights :mrgreen: to the Everquest folder -- and all subfolders. That way I don't have to run as administrator, which makes me nervous. I still get the warning that I have to run as administrator, but I just click the option to ignore.

I've bugged that warning, BTW, but they don't seem to listen.
tenri

Post by tenri » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:26 am

Right click the EQ icon and under properties, there will be a box marked run as admin (it might be under advanced tab also) this will all ways start the program as admin this is one of the pains of Vista other then that load up the memory in the machine and have fun
Tenri DeathPimp

Ya Ya i know shut up skinny necro boy :twisted: